RSS Feed for This PostCurrent Article

Rehoboth Beach Man Wants To Clean Up His Own Mold…A good Idea??

While at a home inspection in Rehoboth Beach we noticed some mold spots on the walls of the basement. The buyer stated that he would just take a rag with bleach to the area. In areas of wide spread bio growth this could be a big mistake.

Dealing with large areas of mold is no DIY project. It is a serious problem that if not properly treated can lead to severe health consequences. So how do you know if you need to call in a specialist to deal with your mold problem or if it’s something you can take on yourself? Well if the moldy area is 10 sq ft or less you can probably tackle the problem yourself but be sure to follow the proper guidelines.

  • First be sure to fix any plumbing leaks and other water problems that could be causing the mold as soon as possible and be absolutely sure to area is completely dry as the mold will continue to grow if there is moisture present. (This can be a big challenge for those in Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach, Lewis, Ocean City etc. as moisture issues are prevalent on the Eastern Shore) High Tech Home Inspections uses the latest technology to help our clients locate areas of un seen moisture.
  • Next wash the mold with bleach and water and dry completely. Never mix chlorine bleach solution with other cleaning solutions or detergents that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could be produced. Be sure to follow the EPA suggested guidelines while cleaning small areas of mold.
  • You may not be able to rid mold completely from some absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles and carpets since mold can grow in the tiny crevices making it impossible to remove. As a result you may have to replace certain affected areas.
  • It is important to always wear the proper protection when dealing with mold. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) suggest that you wear an N-95 respirator that fits properly to avoid any mold spore inhalation, as well as gloves and goggles.

You may suspect hidden mold if a building smells moldy or like mildew. Mold can hide in many places such as the backside of drywall, wall paper and paneling as well as under carpets and inside walls around leaking pipes. If you think you may have a hidden mold problem it is important that you call in a specialist. Removing materials with hidden mold is very dangerous as the mold spores can be made airborne.

It is also important to note that dead or dormant mold may still cause an allergic reaction in some people, therefore it is suggested to remove all mold, just killing it may not solve the problem.
Some things are just better left to the professionals and dealing with large areas of mold is definitely one of them.

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. silicone says:

    Thanks for a marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you
    might be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and may come back sometime soon. I want to encourage one to continue your
    great writing, have a nice holiday weekend!

Post a Comment




If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.